DIY Household and Body Care Product
Making your own household and body care products is way easier than it sounds, and all it takes are a few standard ingredients that you may have around your house already. The simplest ingredients can make the best products!
- 1 part white vinegar + 1 part water + a few drops lemon essential oil
- Combine ingredients in a spray bottle. Shake well before use. Can be used on most surfaces.
- 1 cup liquid castile soap + 1/4 cup water + lemongrass essential oil
- Combine ingredients in a pump bottle (a foaming soap dispenser works best) and shake well.
- 1/4 cup baking soda + 1 tbsp liquid castile soap + 10 drops tea tree oil
- Combine ingredients and scrub onto tiles with a coarse brush. Leave mixture on tiles for 5 minutes and wash off.
Personal Care Products
- 2/3 cup liquid castile soap + 1/4 cup raw honey + 2 tsp sesame seed oil + t tsp vitamin E oil + 45 drop lavender essential oil + 15 drops geranium essential oil
- Combine above ingredients into a container with a pump top and shake well prior to use.
- 1/2 cup shea butter + 2 tbsp avocado oil + 30 drops of your favourite essential oil combo (I like lavender, sandalwood and geranium)
- Melt shea butter, avocado oil in a saucepan over low heat. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in essential oils. Transfer oil mixture to glass container and let cool to room temperature.
- Check out my previous blog post on how to make a basic calendula salve - the perfect DIY recipe to help nourish particularly dry skin.
- 1/4 cup fine sugar or sea salt + 1-2 tbsp olive oil + 5-10 drops peppermint essential oil
- Combine above ingredients to desired consistency and use within 2 weeks.
With respect to shelf life for DIY recipes, I would recommend using your products up within 6 months after making them to avoid any possibility of spoiling.
DIY cleaning and personal care products are so simple to make and the possibilities are endless! Do you have a favourite recipe? I'd love to hear about it.